ROSE PRODUCT CATALOG

Thursday, June 12, 2008

HOW TO DRAW REALISTIC ROSE


Rose Drawing Tutorial - How to Draw with Colored Pencils
I made this tutorial to show step by step how to draw a realistic pink rose. For this lesson I will be working on Canson Mi Tientes black paper and using Prismacolor Colored Pencils. Every color that I mention will be of the Prismacolor brand. :)

Step 1 The first step is a basic outline. Since it is extremely hard to erase colored pencil, I did my outline on a seperate piece of paper and transfered it.


Step 2 I started on the left side. I always work this way since I am right handed, so I never have to rest my hand on a finished part of the drawing. I applied "deco pink" and "light peach" to this petal and used "process red" for the edges. I used white for the highlights on the edges of the petal.



Step 3 I move on to other petals on the rose. My light source is coming from the left and above so the left side of this rose will be lighter than the right. The edges of the petals will be white. Again I used a combination of "deco pink", "light peach", and "process red".

Step 4 Using the same colors, I continue left to right. For the most part, every new petal will be white on the left side and a darker tone on the right.





Step 5 Paying attention to my reference picture I move on working on new petals. It's important in realistic drawing to work one small area at a time. If you focus on the drawing as a whole it will be overwhelming. Think of realistic drawing as a puzzle, work one area at a time and in the end it will all come together.



Step 6 I am working into the right side of the rose now and this area has to be darker than the left side. I used "rosy beige", "process red", "clay rose", and "crimson lake" for these darker areas. My eyes were getting a little strained from working with the pinks so I started working on the stem of the rose. I used 3 different shades of green for this, "true green" for lights, "grass green" for midtones, and "dark green" for darks. The stem follows the same light source rules as the petals. The left side will be lighter than the right side.



Step 7 I worked more on the petals.


Step 8 The drawing is almost complete at this point. I work some more on the petals and the leaves at the bottom, using the same greens I used for the stem.


Step 9 The drawing is completed. At this point you can go back and do some detail work and clean up areas that need it. I added some veins to some of the petals and some other details.


I hope this tutorial has helped you in some way or another. I can explain how I do things all day but the basic idea of drawing is to just understand how tones flow and to train your eye to see what others don't see.

No comments:

Hotline News

ALTERNATE BUSSINES

Thank's For Your Visit